The Blue Tomato: The Inspirations Behind the Cuisine of Alan Wong
by Alan Wong with Arnold Hiura | Watermark Publishing, 2010
Featuring more than 200 recipes, The Blue Tomato: The Inspirations Behind the Cuisine of Alan Wong shares the stories behind the recipes, revealing the fun and philosophy of creative cooking.
Not just a cookbook, The Blue Tomato is a testament to Alan Wong’s conviction that anything is possible in today’s world—with the right mix of creativity, persistence and innovative thinking. This 284-page book is a personal journey with Chef Alan, featuring some of his own photography, travel anecdotes and the sources of his inspiration. It is an indispensable guide for the home cook and, at the same time, a remarkable resource for the serious cook or professional seeking the how and why of Chef Alan’s culinary techniques and creative process.
Copy editor, recipe editor, project manager
- Copy editing and recipe editing
- Suggested adding step-by-step photography to clarify complicated recipes; recommended recipes to receive step-by-step treatment
- Served as main project facilitator between publisher, Chef’s office and design/production team
- Hawaii Book Publishers Association, Ka Palapala Po‘okela Award of Excellence (highest honor) in Cookbooks, 2012
- Hawaii Book Publishers Association, Ka Palapala Po‘okela Honorable Mention in Design, 2012
- International Association of Culinary Professionals, Cookbook Awards Winner, “Chefs & Restaurants” category, 2012
An eight-event tour (seven public, one private) in the San Francisco Bay Area to promote The Blue Tomato and share the cuisine and food culture of Hawai‘i, conducted over seven days, October-November 2011.
Original event description: Attendees will learn about the evolution of the Islands’ unique culinary landscape and how it has inspired Chef Alan. Guests will also have the opportunity to taste Hawai‘i—literally! Chef Alan and Arnold, assisted by Hukilau Restaurants, will serve dishes from The Blue Tomato and classic Hawai‘i fare featured in Arnold’s book, Kau Kau: Cuisine & Culture in the Hawaiian Islands. Events range in price from free to $75 and include activities such as “talk-story” book signings, cooking demonstrations, culinary exercises and tasting events—culminating in a “Birthday Bash” celebration for Chef Alan with a trip to Hawai‘i giveaway.